Savings pros know that certain retailers make it easier to save than others. And there are always tips and tricks to be learned. Kohl’s can be a bargain hunter’s paradise, even without knowing all of the tricks, but if you’re in the know, you can save even more! Check out these tips and tricks to learn how to make the most of every dollar you spend at Kohl’s!
1. Clearance Buys: If you’ve ever browsed Kohl’s clearance racks, you know that there are some really amazing deals to be had. Clearance prices are a whopping 60-90% off retail. Here are a few tips:
- The biggest clearance markdowns happen on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month.
- Clothes tend to get better clearance prices in store than online.
- Coupons and codes work alongside clearance prices. Stack several discounts to save even more!
- Don’t forget to check out their online clearance here.
2. Connect to WiFi in Store: When you visit your local store, be sure to connect to their WiFi system and you’ll earn a bonus coupon just for logging in. Discounts tend to be things like $5 off any $25 purchase or $10 off any $30 purchase.
3. Digital Price Tags: Kohl’s stores are full of digital price tags, allowing them to keep up with all of their sales and specials without paying employees to constantly change out signage. But there’s a secret to decoding these digital price tags. If you see a square in the upper right corner, you’ll know that the item is at its lowest price of the season. Other codes that appear in this area are as follows:
- 50 = 50% off
- BB = Bonus Buy. These items were purchased from Kohl’s suppliers at a super-low price.
- BGH = Buy one, get one at half price.
- GV = Limited time price drop
- NM = This item will be marked down soon, so wait a few days to get a better price. (Or come back in a few days for your price drop rebate.)
- PP = Product Placement. The sale prices on these items are determined by the manufacturer, rather than the store, and the discount is a fixed price rather than a percent off discount..
- S = Sale. Generally you can expect these sales to last 1-2 weeks.
4. Exclusions: There are a few categories that are excluded from some of the biggest discount programs. For these, you won’t be able to redeem Kohl’s Cash or Yes2You Rewards (but you can still earn points for these purchases). In general, this applies to gift cards, Kohl’s Cares charitable items, and certain excluded brands. You can get the full scoop at their website, here.
5. Forgot your Kohl’s Coupons? Fear not! Just bring the unused coupon and the receipt back to the service desk. Acceptance is up to the store’s discretion, so it’s best not to rely on this often. If you made the purchase online, you can get your money back by emailing their customer service team with your order number and the coupon code.
6. Free Shipping Anywhere in the US: Shopping through in-store kiosks offers a huge bonus in the form of free shipping. But this doesn’t have to be just for items shipped locally. You can ship your purchases anywhere in the US, so it’s a cheap way to send birthday or holiday gifts to family across the country! And don’t forget you can use coupon codes (and stack them!) on the kiosks too.1 2 3 4 5
7. Gift Cards: Buy discounted Kohl’s gift cards online to save even more. You can get up to 10% off Kohl’s gift cards using various card sale sites. That’s additional money off your Kohl’s purchases!
8. Gift Registry: Create a gift registry for your next big event and you’ll earn 10% back from all purchases. This means if your friends spend $500 on gifts from your Kohl’s wedding or baby registry, you’ll get $50 back. Plus, your friends can get 20% off purchases from your registry, and you’ll receive a 15% off coupon for any remaining items on your list after your big day.
9. Kohl’s App: The Kohl’s App is a handy way to keep track of all of your in store coupons and Kohl’s Cash Rewards. But it also gives you a bonus 10 points every time you connect while you’re in the store!
10. Kohl’s Credit Card: Often the best deals can only be had by shopping with your Kohl’s Credit Card. Kohl’s Card members get high value 30% off discounts about once a month (more often if you spend at least $600 per year), free shipping offers several times a year, mailed coupons, and sometimes bonus freebies on your statement, like a code for free photo gifts from Shutterfly. If monthly bills aren’t really your thing, you can pay your balance off with cash or a check right there at the register after you’ve checked out!
11. Mail-In Rebates: Rebates are a great way to get some cash back after a purchase, but most shoppers don’t know how to claim them. Kohl’s makes it easy to see which brands and products offer rebates by collecting them all on one easy-to-navigate page! Check it out here.
12. Price Drops: We’ve all been there. You bought an item on sale, only to find the price was marked down further the following week. At Kohl’s, you can get the difference back! If an item you purchased gets marked down within 2 weeks, bring the item, the sales circular, and your receipt to the store to get the difference refunded. This trick works with competitors’ sale ads too!
13. Price Matching: Both in store and online, Kohl’s will match prices with any national retailer that also has a physical store. Some brands, like Nike, are excluded, so it may be a good idea to call ahead to see if the item/sale price you’re eyeing qualifies. Amazingly, you can still use coupons to save up to 15% more off the matched price!
14. Returns: Kohl’s ends the pain of buyer’s remorse with a pretty fantastic returns program. They’ll accept most purchases back, no questions asked, with no time limit, but there are a few restrictions you should be aware of:
- Kohl’s Cash: If you return an item from which you earned Kohl’s Cash, you’ll lose the KC. If, however, you can show that you spent at least the minimum amount to earn the Kohl’s Cash without the returned item, they’ll reissue that Kohl’s Cash to you. If you’ve already spent it, they will deduct it from the amount of the return.
- No Receipt: If you don’t have your receipt, you can still return items at Kohl’s, but you’ll only receive a store gift card. You’ll get the lowest price of the item within 13 weeks of the time of return. If you made your purchase with a credit card, they can always look up your purchase history and find exactly what you paid.
15. Senior Discount:If you’re over 55, shop on Wednesdays for an extra 15% off just for seniors. Make sure to ask for the discount when you get to the register.
16. Shop Online: Maybe you’d rather shop in your pj’s than make a trip to the store? There are extra savings for online shoppers too! You can stack up to 4 coupon codes when shopping online (only two if you’re on a mobile device, so make sure you shop from a desktop or laptop), and get free shipping on all orders over $75. Here’s what you can stack in a single online purchase:
- Maximum of one sitewide discount, such as 15% off your entire purchase.
- Up to four department-specific discounts, such as 10% off kitchenware or $10 off any $30 apparel purchase.
- Up to four rewards codes, such as Kohl’s Cash or Yes2You Rewards.
- Up to one free shipping code.
17. Spend $48, Get $10 in Kohl’s Cash:If you shop at Kohl’s with any regularity, you’ve probably seen the sales that say “Spend $50 to earn Kohl’s Cash.” But what most shoppers don’t realize is that according to their official policy, you can get that $10 back even if you spend only $48. Once in a while, they may run a “Spend $25 to earn Kohl’s Cash” promotion, and the within $2 rule still applies. Remember that Kohl’s Cash Back offers are calculated after other discounts are redeemed.
18. Stack Your Savings: Many stores have weird rules about combining rewards cash and coupons or coupons and sale prices. Not Kohl’s! You can max out your savings by stacking in store sale prices, coupons, Kohl’s Cash, and anything else you can think of!
19. Text Alerts: Text SAVE15 to KOHLS (56457) and you’ll get a coupon to save an extra 15% off your next purchase, as well as enroll in their text alerts for additional savings year round.
20. Today’s Deals Page: With so many different deals, sales, and promotions running at once, it’s hard to keep track of what you can save at Kohl’s. That is, unless you know about their “Today’s Deals” page. Check it out here to see all of their current promotional offerings in one handy place!
21. Use Ibotta: Download and check the Ibotta app when you’re purchasing apparel at Kohl’s and you can cash back by snapping a photo of your receipt. Sign up for Ibotta here or use download the app and use code LKDKTES to get an extra $10.
22. What to Buy at Kohl’s: With all of these discounts, it’s important to note that some items are still better buys than others. Here are some of the categories that offer the best prices:
- Accent Furniture
- Cleaning appliances
- Clothes, especially for kids.
- Cosmetics and Fragrances
- Small kitchen appliances
23. What NOT to Buy at Kohl’s: On the flip side, there are some items that are usually going to be cheaper elsewhere, even if you use every available Kohl’s discount. Here are a few:
- Fine Jewelry
24. When to Shop: Hit the stores between 3pm Friday and 1pm Saturday to score the best deals of the week. These are known as Power Hour specials (aka Night Owls and Early Birds) and can save you an additional 10-25% off purchases both in store and online!
25. Yes2You Rewards Program: We’ve all seen store rewards programs that just don’t seem to be worth the effort, but the Kohl’s Yes2You program is different. When you sign up, you’ll receive a coupon for 15% off your next purchase. You’ll also get 5% off every purchase, every time you shop. And there’s even a special birthday coupon sent out each year as an extra treat!